Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility
Completed 2009 ― $499,059.00
Building 452 is a historic, concrete, steel reinforced masonry structure approximately 373' L x 91' W x 60' H, built in 1938. It is located in the Controlled Industrial Areas of Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and currently houses the forge shop. Building 452 was used to repair ships that had been damages during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Corrosion of the rebar had caused spalling of the concrete, which was recently chipped away and removed to make it safe for pedestrian traffic below.
The Navy contracted with Southwest Construction to further remove existing concrete around the rebar, preserve the rebar, attachment of a cathodic protection system (zinc anodes) and to repair the concrete. The existing paint covering the concrete contains lead and was cleaned, prepped and repainted.
This project was completed on time and on budget, with no interruptions to U.S. Naval operations.